I’m so excited about my list of to-reads this year. My first “writing” year, I concentrated on debut authors, enjoying their excitement – living vicariously. Last year, I tried to read books by friends and connections through the various conferences I visited. This year, I’m focusing on authors that I’ve already liked. I’m honing in on my own voice and style, so relishing potential new favorites will give me the opportunity to analyze why I like the books as I read them. I hope that I can not only encourage these wonderful novelists, but get more than enjoyment from the time I spend with their books.
20. Love on the Slopes by Elizabeth Goddard – this book, breaking out on January 1st, came too late to get on my top list for 2013, but I did get to read and review it already! Must read for anyone who likes poignant romance, especially in a wintery environment.
19. Stalking Willow by Fay Lamb – I’ve so enjoyed working with Fay Lamb on the three novella collaborations that we’re putting out with Write Integrity Press. She’s got such a way of crafting a scene! I looking forward to reading this first book in her series as well as the second, 18. Better than Revenge.
17. Nothing But Trouble by Susan May Warren – I know this is an older of her works, but I’ve heard so much about it I can’t resist. Precious Redhead, having read Take a Chance on Me, is excited about the second in that series, It Had to Be You, coming out in February and the third, When I Fall in Love, coming out in July.
16. A Ranch to Call Home by Leann Harris – This lady has become such an inspiration to me. I’m excited about this new Love Inspired book!
15. Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauck – fairly new and released last summer, I’ve started this book, but had to set it aside to complete some tasks. Stepping away from the story wasn’t easy, though, and I look forward to picking it back up in the near future. Because I’ve enjoyed this story so much, I also plan to read the second of her series, 14. Princess Ever After, as well as one I’ve heard so much about, 13. Dining with Joy.
12. Healer of Carthage by Lynne Gentry – Not only is Lynne one of my mentors and friends, I’ve been blessed to get a preview of her book through our critique group. This is going to be an amazing series! I can’t wait until the first book comes out in March.
11. Butterfly Palace by Colleen Coble – I’ve already pre-ordered this baby that is touted as “Dowton Abby meets Jane Eyre.” Precious Redhead joins me in my bit-chomping to receive this story. Can’t wait! Another story I’ve been excited to read is 10. Rosemary Cottage, the second book in her Hope Beach series. Her first hit, Tidewater Inn, made the top of my all-time favorite list!
8. No One to Trust by Lynette Eason – Precious Redhead completed the entire Deadly Reunion series. I’m so jealous that she had the time. While I fully intend to complete 7. When a Heart Stops and 6. When a Secret Kills, the books that follow one I loved, When the Smoke Clears (review coming soon), I look forward to enjoying Lynette’s latest offering!
5. Beowulf by Ronie Kendig – another January 1st release. Oh my gosh! This could be my favorite of the entire year! Yeah, it’s that good! Check out my review from last week. I’ve loved this book so much, I expect to read the first two of the series, 4. Trinity and 3. Talon. Also, Ronie’s latest, 2. Raptor 6, comes out May 1. You can bet I’ll have that one pre-ordered!
1. A Dozen Apologies by me and eleven other gals. I love the premise of this book and I can’t wait to see how all of the collaborative chapters come together in the final product! It is by far my number 1 anticipation, though I still have to wait a little longer to enjoy this story!