We’ve investigated enough names of God at this point, that I thought it might be a good time to revisit His names and the aspects of His character that each one highlights.
And I want to hear from you. I have several more names of God that I want to share. What are some names that you don’t want me to miss?
I started this study to learn more about my Father. That’s why He gave us this Bible in the first place – for us to learn about Him. And I’ve learned some amazing things about Him. I hope you’ve enjoyed this trek as much as I have so far.
First, we focused on the name YHVH – Yahweh, commonly translated as Jehovah. “I AM” as he told Moses. This unutterable name speaks of the holiness of God. The reverent awe with which I should regard Him.
Then we started examining many names that begin with Jehovah. All of these were given to Him at specific times and for specific reasons, and yet they apply for us, today:
- Jehovah Jireh – God is our Provider
- Jehovah Rapha – God is our Healer
- Jehovah Nissi – God is our Banner (inspiration and focal point)
- Jehovah M’Kaddesh – God Who Sanctifies (purifies)
- Jehovah Shalom – God is our Peace
- Jehovah Rohi – God is our Shepherd (our friend and guide)
- Jehovah Sabaoth – God of Hosts (Angel Armies)
- Jehovah Tsidkenu – God is our Righteousness (He places His on us!)
- Jehovah Shammah – God is There (Wherever it is that we need Him!)
- Adonai – Majestic, Warrior King
I think Adonai goes well with the holy name of YHVH. Both remind us of the holiness of our God.
The others expound on what He does for us: provides, heals, purifies, guides, and protects. He gives inspiration, focus, peace, and righteousness. And He is always with us in the midst of any situation. How GREAT is our God.
Then we moved into the El forms of God. El was a title (strong one) given to all considered gods during that time period. But our God used other forms to show His nature and the differences between Himself and the false gods surrounding His people.
- Elohim – A plural form indicating the Triune nature of our Creator God
- El Olam – Eternal God, Ancient of Days
- El Elyon – Most High God, the God of gods
- El Shaddai – “Almighty God” is the typical translation, but this name indicates the nurturing nature of God.
Your Turn: What is your favorite name of God?